sexta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2008

Desire to use come with a mask


So today in one of my groups someone told me that one of the girls who is about to leave said: “if I get a help note just mail it to me”. I told her to write in boar what she just said and sign her name. Of course I did that for her to be ashamed of what she did. She also was saying that she never had a Peer evaluation, so I decided to give her the first one, lol.
I do peer evaluation often with my clients because for me is a way they have to see how their recovery is going. Is another way to make them aware through her peers. When I started the P.E. I just wanted to make her aware of she needs to work on when she leaves….but then, everything changed, and I wasn’t expecting.
At the end of her peer’s evaluation I asked her if she was still dating the guy she used drugs. She said she was. Then I asked her if he is going to NA and she said that he was but she wasn’t in love with him anymore.
I asked why? She said that she doesn’t feel anything about him anymore. I asked how long she has been thinking about to break with him, and she said 2 months.
I went to my office and I picked up the phone and I told her: so call him, make a decision while you are still in a safe place. She didn’t call but she said something; she said that she had realized she was still in love for her ex boyfriend. I asked her to tell me who is was, and she said that he is in jail, and they both used drugs together, and he is living jail one week after she leaves treatment. I asked how she knew all this information about him, and she told me that he sends the letters to her mother, and then her mother send the letters to her. The reason they do that is because they cannot receive mail from jail. DISHONESTY/ SECRET = GUILTY = NOT FOCUS IN TREATMENT, or I can go forward on this = TREATMENT IS OVER WHEN I HAVE SECRETS AND LIVE IN DISHONESTY.
Me as a counselor, and an addict, and a love addict I started see red flags all over. Is in these moments I thank God for who I am, even with all this cross addictions that I have is who I am that make me see who my clients probable are. I break down what she was going through. I told her:
You are having a desire to use, and I believe you are making a plan to go use. She was surprise with what I said, and she told me that she didn’t want to use. I told her that I believed in her but I also was going to explain to her how the desire to use comes with a mask.
So let’s break this down:
Her boyfriend was attractive to her while they both were using drugs. Then he starts to going to NA and he isn’t attractive anymore….I believe for her at this time is BORING. So now she wants to go back to her ex boyfriend where she knows that will be possible to start her use with. So this girl is planning to go back to drugs without know that she is doing that. That is what we call a PLAN B = RESERVATIONS.
I looked to another client who also is about to leave, and I asked her if she had a feed back to give to that other client. She replies: why me? Why I have to give her a feed back?? You are doing that because you know I am going through the same, don’t you. I said: YES! What do you think she should do?
She said: stay away from him. And with that you just made me realized that my feed back is also for me.
I wonder sometimes what my co workers are doing to not see this, and do some intervention before they leave. Well, I am powerless over them, but I am not powerless over me, and doesn’t really matter if they are or not my caseload. What matters is I will help, and I will do intervention, because at the end of the day I know I did the right thing and I tied to save a life.
At the end of my shift she came to me and she said: thank you so much, and I told her to be careful, and be wise. I told her: even if you fall, just stand up again, and move on.

Sem comentários: