segunda-feira, 2 de fevereiro de 2009

I don't understand this client

So I have this new client that I don’t understand, or for the first time I feel that I am complete powerless.
I keep looking at this client from my desk and wondering “ who is she?, how I am going to help her? What’s wrong with her?”
So I am going to start for what I got so far.
So lets go to the beginning.
The client is a drug addict child. The client was abandoned by her father. Her father never had contact with her. Her mother is a drug addict who left her with her grandmother, and vanish for the earth.
So the client was raise by her grandmother, witch I don’t believe was the perfect role model.
The reason I say this is because I normally associate drug addiction with toxic parents. Was her grandmother toxic? I didn’t get it yet.
The client grows up looking for worthy. She was in hall of the fame at her school. They client hates drugs addicts - she hates her mother.
The mother shows up later in her life and decided to use drugs with the client. Normally when children decided to use drugs with their parents is because they are trying to find a way to be accepted by their parents. They are trying to get their love back.
Moving on…. The client has this boyfriend who had become her best friend.
She gets pregnant and he promises to marry her.
The child borns, and the father disappears.
Ok, so now lets analyze this, and lets see how traumatic this was.
The most important people in her life left. The client suffered lost 4 times.
First lost - her first love - her mother
Like I wrote before our first love is our parents. They will decided in the future how we are going to be capable of love.
She looses her mother to drugs.
She loosed her father.
Then when she had hope about having her own family she looses it again!
Her boyfriend leaves her.
The child born and she feel the feeling of lost again.
I explain; when someone has a child, will become depress because once the child is out, is again another lost. We cannot forget that a mother carries a child for 9 months, and then is taking away from her inside. This means lost!
I know I am writing in a very confuse way, but I am sick, and its hard for me to think.
This was a very traumatic experiences for the client. BUT, why I am lost on this???
isn’t that normal with addicts????
Yes it is! And here is what I don’t understand!
Let me write how she behaves on the unit. She doenst speak with anyone. She refuses! She doesn’t ask for help; she is in silence all day.
She talks by herself. When she is in my groups I make sure that I bring the parents topic up and I look at her. Once they started to talk about parents she is gone! She looks at the air, and she isn’t in that group anymore. Her body is, but her mind is gone.
I started working with this client, pushing, pressure, and she reacted in anger, complete crazy against me. every time I would do it she would break down crying, and tell me how her past is still hurting her.
So I don’t know very well what to do with this client.
If I leave her alone she will spend her treatment in silence saying that everything is ok.
If a push her she will show me her pain.
So I don’t know, I just don’t know!

1 comentário:

Anónimo disse...

Be Patient, she will not move until she is ready. Encourage, remind her that you are willing to talk to her when she is ready. She is in a lot of pain as you know. Push a little, but you are not going to get her to talk unless she is ready.