sábado, 7 de fevereiro de 2009

The client that I dont understand


The client that I don’t understand!
So last Wednesday at staff meeting the other counselors told me that this client is mental hill, because they saw her talking by herself and laughing, and be space out.
Hello!!! I am been saying that for awhile. Ecstasy was one of her drug of choices.
This client doesn’t want to have anything, I say it gain, anything to do with her peers.
The client doesn’t talk to them AT ALL! The client is always by herself, in silence.
The peers just let her alone, so I see this client of mine spending hours and days without talking with anyone. She was clear when she said that she doesn’t want to talk with them, she fears them.
So I kept thinking, and thinking what can I do.
I am been spending my days looking at the client and trying to figure out what to do with her, how to gain her trust, how to make her connect with her peers.
Finally, my brain started to work this week.
I FOUND A WAY!!!!!
Yes cap locks because I am very proud of me.
I decided to use client strengths!
I remind that she told me that she went to dance school, so I called her in and I told her:
“Look I have a job for you. You are going to teach your peers how to dance. You are going to organize a dance team, and then you are going to present that to the directors.
The client jumped from her chair, happy like I never saw.
She stands up goes to group and announces them that every Saturday morning she will be teaching dance class. Here what she said, lol :
Saturdays we are going to dance, is healthy, and will keep you exercised”
Then she goes around the room giving HI5 to all of them, lol
So today I brought the music she asked me, and I brought also Madonna video for them to see the dancers.
So from 6.30 am until 8.00 am they saw it, and then at 8 am I asked the client to come and teach the class.
She said: I need 5 minutes to prepare myself”
LOL
After 5 minutes she came and the class started.
She laughs with them, she spoke with them, she asked for their advice, what moves to do, she followed suggestions of them, and she kept laughing and laughing.
The entire unit was with her, helping her, watching her, clap, calling her name, supporting her in an amazing. They were happy to do something for this client.
At the end she came at me and just gave me this big hug that took me by surprise!!!!
Conclusion:
I found a way to make this client interact with other peers. To connect with them.
I found a way for her to feel alive, and happy again.
I really hope this will work
This came from a movie I saw where this guy went to a mental institute, and he spent his days making the other clients laughing.
He was also sick, but he chosen to make the other laugh. Then he left the mental hill hospital and he decided to become a doctor. As an intern he would make the patients laugh, with his jokes, and be a clown.
Patch Adams (film)
I am doing exactly the same with this client.
Isn’t the client who need to adaptated to me. It’s me who need to adaptated to the client.

Sem comentários: