quinta-feira, 8 de outubro de 2009

Gangs in Portugal??????!!!!!!! OK, I am ready to work with them then!

So many times, while working as a counselor in Texas, I thought: “ why the hell, I am working here????? Why the hell, I am working with gangs??????
I was scared at the beginning, because I didn’t understand that culture, so I wanted just to deal with addiction!
I end up liking to know the gang culture, and to see beyond it.
I still remember that Unit where a gang took control of the unit.
They even would tell counselors to leave the group.
I remember to be called to do a lock search, and I found the weirdest and crazy weapons on the unit.
I remember the cops arresting them right in the front of me.
I remember how that got me curious.
At that time I told my ex. Director : “ let me go there and do a group!”
He allowed me, and I was so, but so scare!
I saw myself in the middle of gangs, trying to teach them, and make them aware the reason of their life style.
Was an amazing group, and you can read it on this blog at http://ivonejft.blogspot.com/2008/09/when-gang-men-starts-and-children-ends.html
After this event, I started to pay more attention to gang women (clients)
I started to make a lot of question.
I wanted to know, how that started, and what a gang initiation was.
I heard the most incredible stories about it! Jesus!
I had clients telling me “everything makes sence, that you guys say, but if I don’t go back to my gang, they will look for me, and they will kill me, and I don’t want to die!
What answer you will give to this client????!!!! Yep! I know!
I had clients mothers whom their gang children were killed rival gangs.
A gang initiation means doing what the gang leader asks.
Here some initiations: kill someone, be on the floor and be beat up for the entire group, having sex with the entire group,
Now let’s see how this is done:

"Beat in" or "jump in" - The inductee must prove him/her self by enduring a severe beating by a pre-determined number of members for a pre-determined number of minutes. During this act the members use fists, kicks and stomps, or even clubs to beat the new member. This is frequently called an "act of love." It is also, in many cases, an act of extreme violence. The new member at best may survive with broken ribs, cuts and contusions or maybe a broken jaw. However the beating can be so severe that the person could suffer permanent injury or even death.
"Sex in" - Female inductees are frequently "sexed in" by having intercourse with multiple members of the gang. This is sometimes used in lieu of being beaten in. It has been reported that females, on occasion, have been required to consent to sex with a person known to be HIV positive.
Other Forms of Initiation
Armed robbery - inductee(s) commit the crime of armed robbery and frequently shoot the victim(s) for no reason.
Drive-by shooting
Assault on an innocent victim
Rape an innocent victim
Blessed In - Occasionally, a prospective gang member will not have to endure any of the normal gang initiation rituals. He or she may be "blessed in." This may be the result of the prospects reputation as one who is worthy of gang membership or he may be a family member of a gang member who has vouched for his worthiness and loyalty.


One day I was at work and I got this email: "do not go to wal-mart tonight. gang initiation to shoot 3 women. not sure what wal-mart and confirmed on TV."
I freaked out! I was living near by Wal-mart!

Well, I guess I know now!
Almost everyday I see on news that we are starting to have gangs.
What was a destructive dream before, now is become real!
So, Portugal is starting to have gangs, and they are already fighting for a position.
Recently I started to study gang language. As you may not know, gang members speak by clothes and mimic - doing with their hands, and fingers.
I am learning a new language, a new way of speak, and is hard as hell!
But something tells me, that what I am been learning is going to be useful in a near future.
Here some gangs action


So, we counselors, we may want to get ready to work with this population

Sem comentários: