quarta-feira, 28 de outubro de 2009

A bless day - client gratitute

I feel bless today!!!
Two days ago a client bipolar with sociopath personality decided to fuck up my car with a stone.
I got angry, but I kept the cool. Is always hard to work with dual diagnosis, and this is the second time I get sociopath personality clients.
I got down, and was overwhelmed with this situation, and made me wonder if wouldn’t be better to not be a counselor anymore.
However, I kept doing my job.
So today, I got a phone call from one of my clients. I already wrote about him here “ the depress client”
He is been at the hospital, very sick, and he almost dies.
Was the second time he called me form the hospital, but today was different!
He called and he said “ heyyy, I am so, but so glad to hear your voice”
The client told me on the phone that when he was facing dead that he realized I was the best thing that happened in his life after his daughter
He told me when he was on isolation due is condition and he got very depress, and scare, and he kept having a desire to have a cell phone to call me. He that was a moment that my face came to his mind and he saw me saying “ whoooooooooppppp” and he started to laugh.
“whooooopppp” is something that I learned in USA with black American population.
We use that expression after a joke. Is like saying “got it?” lol
Often I do that with my clients because I spent a lot of time playing and making jokes to make them laugh.
Is what I do as a counselor…..when is groups I take that very serious, and make it serious, but then I show the crazy and funny part in recovery in order for them to see that recovery isn’t just work, and responsibility. They also have to have fun in recovery.
Going back to my client, he also told me “ my mother told me to not go back to treatment. I looked to my mother and I said; I am going to come back because my counselor had changed my life, and I want to go back and stay with her. I will stay in treatment until she stays there.”
So, after a sociopath client screw my car, I get this other client that tells me that my job is important and I am changing lives!
Without he notice he gave me hope and courage to keep doing what I do better - changing lives, touching lives.
I was very glad to get this phone call.
Kept me focus!
I have other two clients that their hobby is to keep coming back to treatment.
They already did three treatments.
Today I kept looking at them and I told them:
“ ohhhh, I see, you guys are waiting for me to tell ya’ll how bad you are, and how sick you are, and burn out, but guess what???? I am not going to tell you guys that!!!!
You are looking to make me your mother, or society that always told you guys how bad you are, how sick you are. This is what I am going to do with you guys - from my mouth you are just going to hear how good you are. If you think that you are going to feed pain through me, you are wrong! In addition, to finish, just let me tell you guys that this is YOUR LAST TREATMENT! Game over; you are not going to come back to treatments. You are going to be in recovery!”
They stare at me and asked me “ how do you know that?”
My answer was simple “ wanna bet??? Lol”
So how can I be so arrogant, saying that, you ask?
Simple, like I told them “ don’t think that I am going to give you step 1, king baby, resentment, etc, I am not going to give you any books to work on like the other treatment centers gave to you. I am going to the point. I am going exactly where that pain is, and what is wrong. I don’t have time for the bullshit. If I can see, what is wrong and what is the issue, so why not start for there!!!???
Chronic relapse clients are looking for one thing, and are always the same thing, so let’s work on that, and set the client free for a new way of life!

Sem comentários: